Artwork requirements for printing on fabric
Let us tell you about artwork requirements for printing on fabric!
To make your printing a smooth process, we have provided a list of guides on how to submit your artwork and tips for you to know along the way.
Before getting in touch with our team please think about:
- What type of artwork you have. A repeat, placement or single image.
- What fabric would you like to use?
- How much fabric will you need?
- Please consider your deadline.
- Please review our FAQ page.
Sharing files- When your artworks are ready for sharing we recommend you upload them to Wetransfer, enter our email address email@example.com and send us a short message if required. Please note we do require a deposit or confirmation of order before downloading any files.
Prints- We can print artworks, illustrations, photographs, textile designs and large scales works up to the width of the fabric you select. Please note that we do not print images from books, magazines or the web that are copyrighted to other artist or designers without prior consent.
Colour match- Some clients may wish to see an example of their fabric print prior then going to production. In this case we offer a strike off that measures 300 x 300mm for $25 on a sample of fabric you have provided and we have a minimum order of 2 samples. If you confirm your order with a 30% deposit, then there is no minimums on samples.
When preparing artwork:
- You will need to allow 2 metres wastage per roll of printing. As we require the 2 metres to roll on and off to the heat press. If you are supply your own fabric, please supply 4 metres extra for testing and reprinting.
- If you are suppling your own fabric please allow 1.5cm spacing on either side of the width of the fabric that is not to be printed on. So if you have a role of 150cm, we can print up to 147cm wide on that fabric.
- Please note that fabric can shrink slightly when heat pressed. Please keep this in mind when setting up your files and to allow excess in your artwork for this.
- We accept artworks jpegs or pdf only. We don’t accept Quark or Corel draw files.
- We use a process known as CMYK. Prior to providing your artwork, please save your files as CMYK to be compatible with our printer.
- Please save your file at 150 dpi and to the width x length of the print required. So please supply your artwork to the correct print size. For example if you want the print to be 50 x 50cm, the file should be saved to the size. Unless prior arranged we will print your artwork to the size it is provided.
- Please keep in mind that fabric shrinkage of 1-5% may occur during printing. Printed fabric will never be at the precise size due to shrinkage and nature of the fabric. Please allow for this when setting up your artwork.
- File must not be larger then 1GB
- When providing a repeat pattern please make sure that the artwork lines up at both the top and bottom, so the pattern is continuous. We have a design team that can help you with this if you need to engage our services. There should be no white border around the artwork.
- If you require white spacing around your print, please include this in your artwork. Otherwise your printing will be printed consecutively.
- When supplying artwork as pattern pieces, please ensure patterns are to scale and fit. Allow 15-20mm space along the selvedge to avoid artwork being cropped.
- Artwork colours can differ significantly from what is viewed on a computer screen to what translates onto fabric. This is because computers work in RGB and our printer works in CMYK.
- If you see black on the computer screen it does not mean that this colour will be printed as black as you see it. The black colour in your artwork may not be necessary appropriate for commercial printing. If you are after pure black colour ensure that all four CMYK options are set to 100%, C=100%, M=100%, Y=100%, K=100%, in both Photoshop and Illustration when developing your artwork. For very fine details such as small text or lines, only K can be set to 100%.
- White as colour cannot be printed, any areas in the image that are white will be the colour of the fabric.
QUICK ENQUIRY FORM:
CALL US TODAY FOR ADVICE ON 03 9939 4796.
Digital Fabric Printer is part of a collective of services that we offer. Click below to see what else we can help you create!
Melbourne Laser Cutter | Classic Wedding Invitations | Design your cushions | Lydra Group | Pins to Kill